Prev: Re: Why Sensors?? Next: RE: [FT] Strategic Thrust

Re: [FT] Strategic Thrust

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <schoon@a...>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 21:44:23 -0700
Subject: Re: [FT] Strategic Thrust

>The question then becomes, how many hexes across do we want
>our map to be, and at what scale?  That will determine how
>far out the Jump Limit is.  I'm thinking about 11 AU out
>from Sol, which would put it out past Saturn--but would also
>mean that an A0 star would have its jump limit at about 20AU
>or 80 hexes (on the .25AU/hex scale), requiring several
>sheets of paper to map (or a change in scale).

This depends on your hex size. Make your hexes 1/2 or 1 AU and it's very
possible (at 40 or 20 hexes respectively).

For the "system scale" you don't need excessive detail, just enough to
provide tactical possibilities. You should be more than able to do that
with a jump limit 40 hexes in diameter. That includes ALOT of hexes. I
like
the 1AU per hex option.

>Cut to the chase:
>How far out should the Jump Limit be for Sol?	Please vote
>using AU (not , for example, "in the Oort Cloud").

11 sounds fine for Sol. 22 hex diameter. KISS.

Schoon

Prev: Re: Why Sensors?? Next: RE: [FT] Strategic Thrust