Prev: Re: Why Sensors?? Next: RE: Why Sensors??

Re: Integrating Snipers into DirtSide II

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 23:30:46 -0400
Subject: Re: Integrating Snipers into DirtSide II

Michael Brown wrote:

> Old war story time:). I had a PSG that served a couple tours in
Vietnam.  In
> the course of his travels in the 11th ACR a fellow TC was shot by a
sniper,
> said shot shattering his jaw.  As this TC had just gotten back from
having
> dental work done, this served to mightily piss him off.  Using 152mm
Beehive
> rounds he went after all likely locations until the sniper (or parts
of him)
> was found.

A. How long did it take for them to get their shit together and and fire
at every
likely location then sit there and wait for the medevac to come and
evacutaing the
wounded TC? WHile at the same time sending grunts out to all these
locations to
look for the (supid because he didn't relocate like he should have)
sniper.
B: What was happening to their mission they were supposed to be
conducting at the
time while they were doing all that?

If the answer was "fifteen minutes" (no doubt it was longer by the time
they moved
out again.) Then you've just described Suppression. That's one of the
snipers jobs.
Take a few pot shots, hopefully hit somebody, then everything stops for
a while  so
they can hunt down the sniper and medevac casualties. That's
suppression. The fact
that the sniper (probably just a sharpshooter left behind to cause
trouble was
killed was immaterial to the reason he was put there to take that shot
and the
effect it had on the target unit.

Los

> FWIW
>
> Michael Brown

Stargrunt
> since
> it's primarily an infantry game)  Dirtside has infantry and other
units too,
> and it
> is the successful intergration of all those elements into a  combined
arms
> force
> that makes for challenge and victory.
>
> > The primary example I have of this is "Tank Sergeant" written by
Ralph
> Zumbro.
> > He served in an armor unit in Vietnam, and in his experience the VC
snipers
> > would leave the area almost as soon as a tank would show up.  The
reason for
> > this was that if there was any sniper activity, the tanks would lay
a couple
> of
> > 90mm rounds into the area where the sniper was set up, or if the
sniper could
> be
> > accurately located, they would take out the tree, and the sniper all
in one
> > operation.
> >

> That assumes, (as was usually NOT the case, particularly with good
snipers that
> don't fire more than once or twice from the same location) that you
even know
> where
> the shot is coming from. Heck. Here you are with your tank platoon in
heavy
> terrain.
> The lead TC get's his head blown off, EVERYBODY immediately buttons
up. Now
> who's
> going to find the sniper? (You can't hear him from inside the tank.)
The PBI of