Prev: Re: FT: fighter combat, plasma torp as pulse torp Next: OT : Dennis Ashelford

Re: FTL Jumps and making it tricky...

From: "Imre A. Szabo" <ias@s...>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 17:48:19 -0400
Subject: Re: FTL Jumps and making it tricky...

Roger Books wrote:

> On 25-Aug-99 at 23:29, Ryan M Gill (monty@arcadia.turner.com) wrote:
> > On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Imre A. Szabo wrote:
>
> > If jupiter and Saturn are on the other side of the Solar Hemisphere,
then
> > it would stand to reason you could jump in there safely...Put an
> > interdictor ship there and it may cause problems when they un fold
space
> > for that point...
>
> I don't know, I think it stands to reason that the only place a ship
> can jump in is the Lagrange points between the local star and a
> large (Saturn, Jupiter, or binary star companion) body. :)
>
> There you go, should be what, about 5 per large planet, which could go
> away as other planets were too close.  It would be next to impossible
> to put orbital forts at all of these, however, you could patrol them.
>
> Roger

There are at least five Lagrange for each planet in the solar system.
That
means you are going to have to cover at least 45 locations...  As for
the
Interdicter cruiser, it will have to have an incredibly huge area of
effect.
Remeber, space is three dimensional.  Why do you have to jump through
the
orbital tracks of the planets?	(most of the time it would not be a
problem)
Why can't you jump in over them or under them?

IAS

Prev: Re: FT: fighter combat, plasma torp as pulse torp Next: OT : Dennis Ashelford