Prev: Re: Vector Movement Next: Re: Vector Movement

Re: Vector Movement

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 13:06:00 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Vector Movement

On 20-Aug-99 at 11:47, Aron_Clark@digidesign.com
(Aron_Clark@digidesign.com)
wrote: >

> I'm going to have to agree with the "No ruler, or pre-measurment" rule
for
> games which I play in.  Heck you can do what you like in your games ;)

> Does your computer "really" know where I am if your shooting at me.  I
> imagine my computers are engaging in a wide variety of Electronic
Counter
> Measures (sending ghost signals, throwing up random walls of static,
and the
> like).  By pre-measuring a certain amount of any game's strategic
challenge
> is then removed.  I like that nervous feeling of not knowing weather
> continue to close or to begin the attack, or even guessing I should be
over
> there in about a turn or so but I hope he just ends up over there.
Ahh, but
> that's just my opinion.

When I play Fantasy Rules! I agree with this, if I were playing the
ground
combat GZG games I again would probably agree with you.  Now starship
(or even modern navel games) I disagree.  Aside from reality (if my
fire control computer doesn't have a solution it can't fire) there is
the
additional fictional problem.  "Weapons officer, when he enters beam
range fire, when he enters the missile envelope fire missiles."  If the
person doesn't know what the range is how does he know when to fire.

Anyway, house rules are fine, but if it is a house rule you should
state it as such, not write it as if it is Official.

(So, do modern tank commanders guess at the range before they fire?)

Roger

Prev: Re: Vector Movement Next: Re: Vector Movement