Prev: Re: Vector Movement Next: Re: FMA Skirmish Weapon Ranges and Area Fire

Inches versus CM (was Re: Vector Movement)

From: Jerry Han <jhan@c...>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 14:27:45 -0400
Subject: Inches versus CM (was Re: Vector Movement)

Ground Zero Games wrote:
> Jerry wrote:
> >You know, I've always considered it a contradiction of my existence
that
> >I use metric for everything except playing games and writing reports.
> >(i.e. it's not a 5 cm border, it's a two inch border)
>
> Most of the reason that we still use imperial measurements in our
games is
> that I personally find cm a bit fiddly when moving miniatures on a
table.
> With inches you can still eyeball and fudge it a bit and get away with
it.
> Or maybe I'm just getting old.

That's the part that makes me wonder; I'm writing from Canada, and I'm
25,
which should put me in the metric crowd.  I grew up learning metric in
school, and it should be second nature (and it is for distances and
temperatures, and a bunch of other things.)

But it seems anything creative: e.g. building a wall, baking a cake,
playing
with minatures, writing an essay, I flip into imperial measurements.
I've
never even tried playing FT in centimeters.  I don't think it would work
very well; my largest starship (my attempt to assemble a 'Berserker'),
would be over 10-15cm long, or the range of a C-bat.

Ah, well.

J.

--
/ Jerry Han -  CANOE Canada - jhan@canoe.ca -
http://people.canoe.ca/jhan \

Prev: Re: Vector Movement Next: Re: FMA Skirmish Weapon Ranges and Area Fire