Prev: Armageddon Outfitter (was: Granaatscherven) Next: RE: Vector Movement

Re: FMA Skirmish Weapon Ranges and Area Fire

From: "Thomas Barclay" <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 11:08:13 -0400
Subject: Re: FMA Skirmish Weapon Ranges and Area Fire

I reply to Los:

BTW how many seconds orminutes is one FMA turn supposed to represent?
(I ask this so we can figure ammo consumption)

---------------------- REPLY -----------------------
I figured fairly short. I don't recall. 15 s?
---------------------- END REPLY -----------------------

Thomas Barclay wrote:

> Range bands:

Minor point. first I would cut confusion for the math impaired and
just make the burst either 4 and 6 rds respectively,
or better yet just say how many attacks on Burst and FA (i.e. SMG 3
attacks on burst, 8 on FA)

---------------------- REPLY -----------------------
Well that works, but we all know that
1) if you don't have a burst selector, you tend to fire (sometimes)
more or less rounds.
2) If you only have 2 rounds left, you should still be able to burst.
3) Not all weapons in RL have a set # of rounds evenly divisible.

But, OTOH, What you say makes some sense at least for defining
standardized weapons....
---------------------- END REPLY -----------------------

Re: resolving burst and FA areas of attacks (short of a nifty plastic
sliderule compass gizmo that you overaly the
attacked area) A quick and dirty way (Without all the surveyor tool
requirements<g>), albeit less acurate might be to
just range step it, say at RB1=.5, RB2=1, RB3=2, RB4=3, RB5=4. This
way you only lay out one thread and measure. Might
be a tad quicker particular inside.

---------------------- REPLY -----------------------
Well, you really just need a string, a tape, and two pennies. But you
could just set a fixed width. I'm a fan of cones, but you could just
set a fixed width and it would work well and easily.
---------------------- END REPLY -----------------------

Though it would be pretty easy to construct a little thread+stick
contraption to lay out a template for your MG fire.

> FP is a function of firing mode (which is determined in part by
> weapon):
>
> Semi Auto:		  1d8		  ammo use: 1 round

This should use at least 2-3 rounds even in semi unless you are doing
aimed fire.

It is single shot because of the time scale.... and because I wanted
there to be ammo tracking.