Prev: RE: [FT] Kra'Vak question. Was: [GenCon] Kra'Vak AAR Next: [FT] Kra'Vak, Vector vs. Cinematic (was: [GenCon] Kra'Vak AAR)

Re: [GenCon] Kra'Vak AAR

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 08:25:17 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [GenCon] Kra'Vak AAR

On 10-Aug-99 at 17:35, Ryan M Gill (monty@arcadia.turner.com) wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Aug 1999, Mark Reindl wrote:
>
> > Since vector movement allows a ship with any thrust rating to rotate
> > any position, it kind of makes trying to get behind it a bit
pointless.
> > Why bother trying to get your fleet behind that Komarov SD when it
can
> > just rotate around and vaporize you anyway?  At least with cinematic
> > movement, it takes so long for a thrust 2 ship to turn that a higher
> > thrust opponent should be able to get and stay behind him.
>
> Then amend the vector movement rules to requre a thrust point for each

> rotational change. A smaller more maneuverable ship should be able to
> swivel around much faster than a big dreadnought.

I'm still not sure that higher thrust in vector is any less than
in cinematic.  The difference is you must use different tactics.
If you look at your weapons mix and pick ranges where you are
more affective than your opponent you are gaining significantly
from your weapons mix.

For instance, I go up against that thrust 2 Komarov with my
thrust 4 Foch.	I can do pushes and keep him at 18-24" and there
is nothing he can do about it.	In addition he is so slow he
can't dodge my SM's.  Looks to me like my thrust is extremely
useful.  On the other end I have an apponent that goes for
thrust 8 ships.  It is a waste of time for me to try to use
a SM on him.  Another case of thrust being useful.  (I worked
through it, I should never get a threshold check before he
has taken 3.  If he plots his vector wrong I can even extend
the range beyond 24.  (IE, if he charges.)  I would love to
have a Komarov Charging me at 16", that means I can open the
range to 30", a nice place to be.

Face it, your average small ship has no business trying to get
behind a Komarov, that blind spot thing is bogus.  All he has
to do is pick a direction, Port or starboard, and wiggle one.
Unless you guess correctly you are toast.  And it is a guess.

Roger (So the best thing to do is run from SM's?)