Prev: [OT] Website formatting Q. Next: [CON] GenCon AAR's

Re: [DS2][SG2] Robot Dogs

From: colin.plummer@t...
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 09:08:01 +0100
Subject: Re: [DS2][SG2] Robot Dogs

One of the best set of rules I saw for robots on a battlefield were IIRC
published in White Dwarf many years ago.
I recently saw them used in a short tabletop game to great effect.

The main premise is that you program your robot with a series of
instructions
in the form of a flowchart.  The simplest sentry program being 'fire at
closest enemy' - which may well fire at the man hiding behind a wall
whilst the
trooper behind him carefully aims with the rocket launcher :)

If you're interested in this kind of thing, there is a game that pits
such
robots (created using your favourite language) against each other in an
arena.

http://www.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de/~hbecker/pcrob.html

--
Colin Plummer
Planet Online, Leeds

Quoting Brian Burger (Mon, Aug 09, 1999 at 01:46:04PM -0700)

> Not dogs, but for robot/automated gun house rules, check out the SG2
> section of my webpage. (see sig for URL)
>
> I've got rules for Aliens-style fixed 'sentry' guns, and the related
> mobile gun platforms - the computer game XCom's 'Heavy Weapon
Platforms'.
> They're all treated as 'Semi-Autonomous Combat Systems" (or SACS).
Left on
> 'auto-fire' mode, they engage the nearest eligible enemy target at the
end
> of the round - eligibility is determined by weapon type mounted.
>
> SACS can also be datalinked to a firing squad or vehicle. They are
> activiated by the firing squad, and simply add their firepower die to
the
> squad's fire.
>
> SACS can also be activated on their own, just as with any squad or
> vehicle. Check the rules out - they work well, I think. (They
playtested
> well, anyway.)
>
> Haven't done FMA mods for the SACS yet - I'll have to once the firing
> rules for FMA are finalized. The activation rules (which are the
important
> part) should port over no problem.
>
> Brian (yh728@victoria.tc.ca)
-DS2/SG2/FR!/HOTT-