Prev: [SG] Quick Reference Sheet Next: Re: Re:counter sheet back-up

[FMA] Combat Moves

From: Mike.Elliott@b...
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 14:54:18 +0100
Subject: [FMA] Combat Moves

The recent discussion on movement methods has been very interesting.
However, it seems to me that
we have missed something obvious. I've only just thought of this, so I'm
as
guilty as anyone!

To summarise, a "standard" movement action is a fixed distance
(typically
8" for an average figure). A combat move
is a doubled die (e.g. D8 x 2 for a typical trooper) or 2Dn depending on
your perference. Dn x 2 is the method used in SG2.

Now consider the following situation. Private Parts is hiding in a
doorway
on one side of the street. The bad guys are
somewhere up ahead and Parts is fairly sure they have the street
covered.
He reckons he can get a better position
by dashing across the street to the cover of a handy skip he can see
across
the way.

Now in game terms, the player decides to activate Pvt Parts. The aim is
get the figure across to the cover offered
by the skip. OK let's make a combat move. Roll a D8 and double it. Damn!
Rolled a 3. That means he moves 6" and is now stuck in the middle of the
street. He ends his activation and is now prime target no. 1 for every
bad
guy on the table.

Hold on, lets run that again. The player decides to activate Pvt Parts.
The
aim is to get the figure across to the cover offered
by the skip. Lets take 2 normal move actions. That gives me a maximum
move
of 16". No problem, the skip is only 11" away.
Pvt Parts dashes across the street to the cover of the skip. The ONLY
bad
guys who can shoot at him are those who
are either on Overwatch or any figure that has not yet activated and
fires
using Reaction Fire. In other words, its a good idea
to wait until most opposing figures have activated before dashing across
the street.

Well, I know which way I'd do it! The only advantage to the combat move
method is that if successful you get to fire with
your second action. You pays yer money and you takes your choice....

If you think about it then, the "dash across the street" problem has
just
gone away.

Now tell me I've missed something....

Cheers, Mike Elliott

___
					 _____

Privileged/Confidential Information and/or Copyright Material may

be contained in this e-mail. The information and Material is

intended for the use of the intended addressee. If you are not

the intended addressee, or the person responsible for delivering

it to the intended addressee, you may not copy or deliver it to

anyone else or use it in any unauthorised manner. To do so is

prohibited and may be unlawful. If you receive this e-mail by

mistake, advise the sender immediately by using the reply

facility in your e-mail software.

Thank you.

l messa.?

Prev: [SG] Quick Reference Sheet Next: Re: Re:counter sheet back-up