Prev: Re: [FT] Magnetic Bases Next: Re: RPGs and Carl Gs in DSII

Re: [FT] Magnetic Bases

From: "John C" <john1x@h...>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 17:38:37 GMT
Subject: Re: [FT] Magnetic Bases

><< I dunno about the pen, and I am far from a physicist, but if you put
>ring
>  of powerful magnets on say, an AOL coaster, all with the same pole
facing
>  upward, with a little help from some super glue, and then another
magnet
>on
>  the ship you wanted to float, with the same pole facing downward,
>wouldn't
>  it sit in the "trough" of the ring?	I don't have any magnets on me,
or
>I'd
>  go home and try this tonight, but from what I know about them, that
>should
>  work, right?  If it did, you could make all your major FT ships
>"floaties."
>  :o)
>
>  God bless,
>  - Buddy >>
>

>Better get some STRONG magnets for those lead ships! They will  also be

>hell
>to keep facing straight, since they will spin nicely. Also if they tip
at
>all
>the heavy lead on top will cause it to roll over belly up and the lead
>shielding the magnet at that point will probably drop it onto the base.
You
>might need to use a bar with three or four posts to SUSPEND the
miniature
>from, requiring more magnetic bases to balance it out

Much though I would love to do ship bases like this, I know better than
try.  I'm limiting myself to the space station, which is a plastic
circle
about a foot in diameter.  It doesn't weight all that much -- some of
the
bigger NSL ships are probably weightier.  The shape of the station
should
allow me to place a magnet in such a position that it won't flip over
without a lot of help; it should, frankly, be the heaviest part of the
model.	From the side, it's  is shaped something like your classic
flying
saucer.  Again, there's a picture in More Thrust of the exact same
model.

The spinning would not, under the circumstances, be a problem either.
Unless, of course, one of my players decided to see just how fast he
could
make it spin....  *shudder*

If nothing else, I've realized that I have to keep my additions to the
top
of the station as short and as light as possible.  No big towers!

John Crimmins		john1x@hotmail.com	 johncrim@voicenet.com
	http://www.voicenet.com/~johncrim/index.html
    Home of "Destroy All Monsters!" and other nonsense.

Prev: Re: [FT] Magnetic Bases Next: Re: RPGs and Carl Gs in DSII