Prev: Re: FMA Skirmish test results [CLEAN STAMP] Next: RE: [OT] Crimson Skies [CLEAN STAMP]

Re: [FT] Ship morale

From: devans@u...
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 09:38:03 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] Ship morale

First to Brushman,

Howdy, Bill! How long have you been lurking here? I've been a bit
incommunicado, just ask Hobie, so I didn't pipe right in. Are you
interested in a trial get-together before GenCon for SGII? I
did a bad thing and promised a trial of the derivative FMA Skirmish
rules, and starting on SGII would be a big help to me.

Now, back on topic.

My take on this is rather different. Firstly, ships tend to be rather
different from army units. Bolting by individuals that becomes a
rout is a different matter on a ship unless the escape pods can be
expected to be available before 'abandon ship'.

Secondly, the examples given tend to be Napoleonic. My impression is
that surrender before a ship was completely ungunned is extremely
rare after the turn of the century. And by then, they are often a short
way from sinking anyway. And, we tend to follow ironsided history.

Now, one could argue that panic would cause a decrease in the efficiency
of systems and weopens, but I tend to think that is added confusion in
an elegant system that strives for simplicity. Besides, I always assumed
that was included in damage control rules. A positive roll COULD be
repair of a system, or remanning of a station after the rating had gone
battle fatigued. As well as the aforementioned 'striking the colors', of
course.

Anyway, we all know that the space services are staffed with far more
noble and brave fellows than the rabble that are found amongst the
groppo's. ;->=

The_Beast

Prev: Re: FMA Skirmish test results [CLEAN STAMP] Next: RE: [OT] Crimson Skies [CLEAN STAMP]