Prev: Resin Tanks Next: Re: Out of Ammo and Shotguns

Re: Stringbags and very OT

From: Alan E and Carmel J Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 15:10:47 +1000
Subject: Re: Stringbags and very OT

RE Fairey Swordfish:

This much-maligned aircraft was great in nearly every respect (though
one huge drawback).

It could carry an astoundingly large bombload.
It had a very long range indeed.
It was quite suitable for night operations.
It had a long loiter time for shadowing enemy ships.
It was remarkably tough and could take a lot of punishment.

Unfortunately....
It was slow. No, slower than that. It crawled against a headwind. We're
talking 65-100 knots here, depending on load. There were cases where a
Swordfish had 8 hours of endurance left, was only 20 miles astern of the
carrier, and was lost due to a strong headwind and a carrier moving
quickly away from it.

OTOH at Taranto, about a dozen of them did about half as much damage as
the hundreds of aircraft that hit Pearl Harbor. Also responsible for
disabling or sinking about as many battleships than the USN air did in
the entire war. (Oran/Mers El Kibir, Hunting of Bismark, Taranto).

Getting back OT.... Imagine an FT torpedo fighter with a move of 12"
only, but 2 torpedos.
--
	      http://www2.dynamite.com.au/aebrain
 abrain@cs.adfa.edu.au o O*OO^^^^OO*O o oo     oo oo	 oo

Prev: Resin Tanks Next: Re: Out of Ammo and Shotguns