Prev: Re: FMA skirmish questions Next: FMA Skirmish in Archives (was Re: New to the list, FMA Skirmish)

Mines

From: "Nick Dingle" <Nick_Dingle@f...>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 14:55:22 +0100
Subject: Mines

Sure, all
>these ships lost were older pre-dreadnaught battleships with less
effective
>underwater protection than later Dreadnaughts (I can't recall any
actual
>Dreads being lost to a single mine, any one else?)

Maybe HMS Audacious (lost in the Irish Sea 27/10/14) - don't know how
many
she hit, but the damage caused was apparantly quite light

Would you count Viribus Unitis, QE & Valiant, all sunk by limpit mines
(albeit temporarily for the last 2)?

Ah - I found one!  Spanish dreadnought Alfonso XIII (later Espana) hit a
single mine & sank 30/4/37.  Mind you, she was the smallest Dreadnought
ever
built & (to quote Conways) her 'speed, protection and freeboard [were]
well
below average'.

I did War Studies for three years at University.  I have no idea what to
do
for a living with it, but I have accumulated a vast amount of
interesting
books on ships . . .

TTFN,

Nick

Prev: Re: FMA skirmish questions Next: FMA Skirmish in Archives (was Re: New to the list, FMA Skirmish)