Prev: Re: More Fighter questions Next: Re: balancing Fighters

SLAM for SG2

From: "Thomas Barclay" <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 18:06:57 -0400
Subject: SLAM for SG2

An ongoing discussion:

Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 17:09:19 -0400
From: Adrian Johnson <ajohnson@idirect.com>
Subject: Re: SLAM for SG2

>** The question remains: Is an unguided pod of rockets a SLAM? Is a
>guided high tech sophisticated MRLS system a SLAM? If so, what
>mechanism represents them both fairly? Using fire control and long
>ranges is overpowerful for the unguided rockets fired direct fire. Or
>are airborne (and potentially groundborne) rocket pods a different
>beast than a SLAM? If so, different mechanics should be used to
>represent them.

What is the essential difference, in game terms, between an unguided
rocket
and a cannon shell.  If a cannon (RFAC, for example) can use FC to
fire
unguided cannon rounds, why couldn't you fire unguided rockets with a
FC
system.

Modern attack helicopters firing unguided FFARs have quite complex
computerized aiming systems that can take into account stuff like air
density and the ballistics of the rocket.  The rocket itself is
unguided,
but if fired from a Cobra or Apache, certainly is using an FC system.
Why
not for SGII era vehicles, too.

** Okay, I'd sort of buy that, though that might or might not make
sense for indirect. Is FC used for Arty? I think not. Yet an MLRS
undoubtedly has FC. Plus (as an aside) your RFAC may not be firing
unguided shells in 2183....

For the SLAM - I would suggest you assume they are a volley of
unguided
rockets.  I like your idea for the size of the impact area.  This
would be
easy to simulate with a template made from clear acetate sheet or
equivalent.

** (I do that!)

  Use a FC die and a quality die for the firing unit, and a
range die for the defender.  One die success = minor hit, two die
success =
major hit.  Simple, no complex math.  Major hit = double impact.  Use
the
rest of the system as per your original suggestions.  If you're still
not
sure that the FC of these weapons should be the same as, say, a GMS
fired
by the vehicle, how about saying that you roll a FC die ONE DIE TYPE
SMALLER than the FC system installed on the vehicle.

** That's easy and I like it. I'm actually a masochist too though, so
I assign different levels of FC for different weapons on my AFVs....
seems to reflect reality (the HMG still has "basic" FC whereas the
140mm smoothbore now has Superior...).

** Good suggestion Adrian!

** Wait till you see my ideas for MPs, Engineers, and Armour Crew.
This involves the theory that some
troops are excellent at their job, and slightly less good at other
things.

** Everyone's contribution has been appreciated.

Prev: Re: More Fighter questions Next: Re: balancing Fighters