Prev: Re: More Fighter questions Next: Re: balancing Fighters and different SM loads

Re: More Fighter questions

From: "Summiting is optional; descent is mandatory. (E Viesturs)" <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 15:04:56 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: More Fighter questions

>> >  What is a Carrier now that all ships can carry fighters?
[...]
>> >I would think that you could define a carrier as any size ship that
has
>> >effectively replaced its option to include primary batteries for the
>> >inclusion of a preponderance of fighter bays - would that not do?
>>
>> How 'bout this: Any ship which devotes more mass to fighter bays than
it
>> does to it's other weapon systems is defined as a carrier.  I'm a fan
of
>> simplicity, myself....
>>

>Since we didn't see it anywhere we were going to be very simple, you
>can launch 1 fighter group per turn for every 3 fighter groups
>carried.  (IE 1-3=1 launch/turn, 4-6 = 2 launches/turn, 7-9=3 etc etc).

You might want to think about what scale you're operating at. Someone
a while back calculated that a typical FT turn was 15-20 minutes long.
Discussion of this amongst the playtesters gave one option of allowing
all fighters to be launched in a given turn (I personally leaned this
way, esp if a turn was 15-20 minutes long).

>I have always been a bit bothered by the "if it's a carrier" bit
without
>giving a decent definition of what a carrier is.

There was some discussion of this a few months ago in the archives. I
don't remember what the average consensus was on this offhand.

Mk
-
I'm not giving in to security under pressure,
I'm not missing out on the promise of adventure,
I'm not giving up on implausible dreams -
Experience to extremes...experience to extremes....
					   Rush - "The Enemy Within"

Prev: Re: More Fighter questions Next: Re: balancing Fighters and different SM loads