Prev: GZG FAQ: RE: More Fighter questions Next: Re: FMA Skirmish question

SLAM for SG2

From: "Thomas Barclay" <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 13:38:54 -0400
Subject: SLAM for SG2

Written by Brendan:
From: "Robertson, Brendan" <Brendan.Robertson@dva.gov.au>
Subject: RE: SLAM system For SG2

To make it simpler, how about:
Quality + FC vs Point target range die (no modifier for cover).
(ie: size 1 targets = 12" bands, size 2 = 24" bands etc).

** I wouldn't do this for two reasons.
1) I don't see the SLAM as being that long of range item. Now, maybe I
should be rethinking if we figure this includes MRLS. But I sort of
saw it as Rocket pods.
2) If it is MRLS, then FC applies. But that seems covered under normal
arty rules if I recall. But if it is unguided rockets from a VTOL or
chopper, then FC is not the right choice. That is why I used crew
quality die.

Miss = artillery scatter using LARGEST attack die roll
Minor hit = artillery scatter using LOWEST attack die roll
Major hit = direct hit
Blast area is equal to the size class in radius
(ie: class-3 = 6" diameter blast - medium artillery).

** Radius is inappropriate for VTOL or Helicopter fired rocket pods.
They have a beaten zone that is closer to an ellipsoid or rectangle.

Impact is as normal artillery rounds (smoke, GP, AP, AT)

This should balance between having an direct fire artillery attack &
being
able to damage the target, as well as simplify the math down.

** The version I use never had any complex math. It was just figure
your range band, roll 1 die for range band, one for crew quality.
Compare the results. Nothing hard there.

The larger vehicles are still mostly immune to the damage, but there
is
still the potential to immobilize or damage them, while still dealing
with
large numbers of infantry.  There is also the potential for really bad
shots
to scatter & take out the launching vehicle (don't you hate those
misfires...)

** That almost never happens. In fact, given we have IFF, etc. etc. -
I'd think that safeties would prevent that in 2185. The rounds would
go dud before they'd hurt the launch vehicle.

** The question remains: Is an unguided pod of rockets a SLAM? Is a
guided high tech sophisticated MRLS system a SLAM? If so, what
mechanism represents them both fairly? Using fire control and long
ranges is overpowerful for the unguided rockets fired direct fire. Or
are airborne (and potentially groundborne) rocket pods a different
beast than a SLAM? If so, different mechanics should be used to
represent them.

** Just my 0.02. Thanks for the thoughts!

Prev: GZG FAQ: RE: More Fighter questions Next: Re: FMA Skirmish question