Prev: Re: Using FTFB interceptors Next: RE: Using FTFB interceptors

RE: Using FTFB interceptors

From: Medains <medains@i...>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 16:39:04 +0100 (BST)
Subject: RE: Using FTFB interceptors

> In other words, once a fighter group initiates a DF, it can no longer
move
> that turn.  The  opposing fighter group can A) accept the DF and fire
back,
> or B) break off and take parting shots from the attacking group (as
long it
> had not already moved). We agree that this happens in turn 1 when
contact
> and the DF is first initiated.  OK, now in turn 2 when both groups
have
> survivors, the groups are still in contact but no longer in a DF
unless at
> least 1 of the groups declares the DF to still be on.  This way both
groups
> can move if they want to (and the 2nd group could move back into
contact
> with the 1st for another DF).  But if 1 of the groups declares it is
still a
> dogfight, that group can no longer move (it used its movement to
declare the
> DF).

> OK, somebody find the flaws in my argument since I've been known to
screw up
> fighter rules before.

I attack with a set of torpedo fighters (a single
ptorp on each fighter IIRC).  I get attacked by interceptors more the 3"
from the target ship (they're not screening).
By some miracle the majority of my torpedo squadron survive a round of
DF.

[p17 of main rulebook - 'If one player moves his Group into
base contact with an enemy group and the opponent does not wish to DF,
he
may move away if he has not already moved')

If the interceptors move first next turn, then the torpedo fighters may
leave ( and the interceptors get a free shot at them, but may not pursue
)

If the torpedo fighters move first, they move away without any fire from
the interceptors.  However, the interceptors may pursue as their
movement
and re-engage the torpedo fighters in DF.

The question of using combat endurance to continue the fight means that
AFTER all normal ships have moved, then the fighters get the option to
move again - and if the two groups are again in base-to-base contact the
situation remains that as above.

In summary
  A fighter fleeing from a DF may be fired upon, but not pursued (the
attacking fighters used their movement to re-initiate DF)
  DF needs to be reinitiated each turn.
  If the defending fighters move before the attackers, they are not
fired
upon, but may be pursued (an reengaged if the attackers are faster)

Therefore, a fast group could move first, flee their full move,
and get from standard fighters who can't keep up.

--
Medains aka Colin Plummer

Located in York in the UK.

Prev: Re: Using FTFB interceptors Next: RE: Using FTFB interceptors