Prev: RE: Using FTFB interceptors Next: Re: Using FTFB interceptors

Fwd: OUR FLAG

From: John Fox <jfox@v...>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 07:29:02 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Fwd: OUR FLAG

To all the Americans on the list
  Something to remeber on the 4th
John Fox

From: Pbroring@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 21:17:08 EDT
To: combat@pittelli.com

 Subject:	OUR FLAG

 Hello! Remember Me?

 Some call me Old Glory, others call me the Star Spangled Banner, but
 Whatever
 they call me, I am your Flag - the Flag of the United States of
America...
 There
 has been something that has been bothering me, so I thought that I
might
 talk it
 over with you here today.

 I remember some time ago, (I think it was Memorial Day, or was it
Veterans'
 Day?) that people were lined up on both sides of the street for a
parade. A
 high
 school band was behind me and, naturally, I was leading the parade.
When
 your
 Daddy saw me coming along waving in the breeze, he immediately removed
his
 hat
 and placed it so that his right hand was directly over his heart.

 And you - I remember you. Standing there as straight as a soldier, you
 didn't
 have any hat, but you were giving me the right salute. Remember, they
taught
 you
 in school to place your right hand over your heart, and little sister,
not
 to be
 outdone, was saluting the same as you. There were some soldiers home on
 leave
 and they were standing at attention giving the military salute.

 Oh, I was very proud as I came down your street that day. Now, I may
sound
 as if
 I am a little conceited, Well I am! I have a right to be, because I
 represent
 you, the people of the United States of America.

 But what happened? I am still the same old flag. Oh, I have a couple
more
 stars
 added since you were a boy. A lot more stars added since the beginning
of
 this
 country, and lot more blood shed since that patriotic day so long ago.

 Now I don't feel as proud as I used to. When I come down your street,
Some
 people just stand there with their hands in their pockets and give me a
 small
 glance and then look away. I see children running around and shouting.
They
 don't seem to know who I am.

 Is it a sin to be patriotic anymore? Have some people forgotten what I
Stand
 for? Have they forgotten all the battlefields where men have fought and
died
 keep this nation free? When you salute me you are actually saluting
them!

 Take a look at the memorial rolls some time. Look at the names of those
who
 never came back. Some of them were friends and relatives of yours.
That's
 whom
 you are saluting, not me!

 Well, it won't be long until I'll be coming down your street again. So,
when
 you
 see me, stand straight, place your hand over your heart and you'll see
me
 waving
 back-- that's my salute to you. And then I will know you remember who I
 am...

 Author unknown:

Prev: RE: Using FTFB interceptors Next: Re: Using FTFB interceptors