Prev: Re: Alderson Campeign Next: Fwd: OUR FLAG

RE: Using FTFB interceptors

From: "Dean Gundberg" <dean.gundberg@n...>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 09:18:43 -0500
Subject: RE: Using FTFB interceptors

> Which brings me back to the point of contention.  Can the attacking
Group
> follow (assuming it hasn't moved yet this turn) ?  Can it initiate
another
> dogfight ?  With the same group ?

I've been debating this in my head (a fierce battle).  Since a fighter
group
can move then dogfight, can it not dogfight and then move?  If it does
DF
and then move, at least it should not be allowed another attack (no 2
attacks in one turn).

In the end, my own feelings are that the round after the DF, one group
breaks off, the other gets a parting shot (no debate there) but that is
it -
no move that turn.  It gets the benefit of firing at a target that does
not
return fire and thus can not move.

In other words, once a fighter group initiates a DF, it can no longer
move
that turn.  The  opposing fighter group can A) accept the DF and fire
back,
or B) break off and take parting shots from the attacking group (as long
it
had not already moved). We agree that this happens in turn 1 when
contact
and the DF is first initiated.	OK, now in turn 2 when both groups have
survivors, the groups are still in contact but no longer in a DF unless
at
least 1 of the groups declares the DF to still be on.  This way both
groups
can move if they want to (and the 2nd group could move back into contact
with the 1st for another DF).  But if 1 of the groups declares it is
still a
dogfight, that group can no longer move (it used its movement to declare
the
DF).

So from Tom's original message:
> On turn 4, his fighters wish to break from the dogfight to attack a
new
> target.  The NAC interceptor group 1 takes a free round of attacks at
ESU
> attack fighter group A before they move (free meaning they are not
> retaliated upon, it does cost combat endurance).  Group A moves away,
into
> an attack position.  Group 1 is free to follow, and moves into
> base to base
> contact with A again.  (I assumed 1 was free to follow.  Any
dissenters ?)
I would say no, group 1 was not free to follow since its movement was
used
to initiate the dogfight in this round, from which group 4 broke off
giving
group 1 the parting shots.

OK, somebody find the flaws in my argument since I've been known to
screw up
fighter rules before.

Dean

Prev: Re: Alderson Campeign Next: Fwd: OUR FLAG