Prev: Re: Starbase assault? Next: Re: Another Camoflage Question

Re: Starbase assault?

From: ScottSaylo@a...
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 17:58:55 EDT
Subject: Re: Starbase assault?

In a message dated 6/29/99 3:33:41 PM EST, journeyman2000@juno.com
writes:

<< Well, I've never tried a starbase assault in any game system, but
I'll
 tell you, I have tried the warp point assault in the old Starfire
system.
  If you point has no limit on how many ships can come through at once,
 you have your basic open space combat.  Mines make it still somewhat
 dangerous, you'd want a 4 or 5 to 1 superiority to assure a win.  Now,
if
 you have limits on the warp points ability to pass ships, like Starfire
 did, its a whole new ball of wax.  We tried it once, the defense had a
 mixed fleet of heavies, with a couple of large bases to guard the
point,
 with a minefield around all.  The offense came in with a 10:1
 superiority, almost all very heavies, superdreadnoughts and such, as
well
 as assault carriers.  They still got whacked, badly.  Think Wolf 359.
 Wreckage everywhere.  And we still didnt take the point.  The limitied
 warp point is probably the deadliest assult of all time.

I've always like the idea of jump entry points being balanced by the
gravity
wells around the star ala BattleSpace. Here 99% of traffic comes in at
the
zenith and nadir jump points, but there is always the chance that an
especially good navigator can find a jump entry point that is "fleeting"
in
nature based on Trojan points in planetary orbit. Therefore sometimes
your
back door is open and you did not know it.

Prev: Re: Starbase assault? Next: Re: Another Camoflage Question