Prev: Re: Starbase assault? Next: Re: Starbase assault?

Re: Starbase assault?

From: Laserlight <laserlight@c...>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 17:45:29 -0400
Subject: Re: Starbase assault?

>you have limits on the warp points ability to pass ships, like Starfire
>did, its a whole new ball of wax.  We tried it once, the defense had a
>mixed fleet of heavies, with a couple of large bases to guard the
point,
>with a minefield around all.  The offense came in with a 10:1
>superiority, almost all very heavies, superdreadnoughts and such, as
well
>as assault carriers.  They still got whacked, badly.  Think Wolf 359.
>Wreckage everywhere.  And we still didnt take the point.  The limitied
>warp point is probably the deadliest assult of all time.

    Assume that your warp points are based on lines between stars (e.g.
Alderson points).  Attacker's Star and Defender's Star both have slight
variations in their nuclear reactions and as a result the jump points
move--not by much, on an interstellar scale, but that could easily mean
thousands of kilometers.  You could predict where the point would be if
you
had real-time data on both stars, but in order to get that you have to
carry
the data through the jump point on a ship--the four-year-old light that
comes through normal space won't be useful.  This isn't all that
important
to the attackers, but the defenders need to know where the attackers are
going to arrive in order to lay out their minefields and defense
stations.
Attackers may even be able to influence the location of the jump point
by
profligate use of nukes or antimatter (defenders might do this too, if
they
knew when to do it).
  Therefore: Jump point defense forces will tend to be fleets rather
than
battlestations, unless the attack is coming from an unusually stable
star or
the defender has money to burn.  (Battlestations will still be useful
around
planets).  Defenders may try to send scouts to observe the enemy star
and
jump back with astrophysical data; or they may try to send it through
with
merchant traffic, if the point isn't completely cordoned off.
   Scenarios:
a) Defenders send scouts through and try to get at least one back
through
Attacker's patrols of frigates and destroyers.	Alternately, defender
could
have blockade runners start off in the Attacker's system (e.g. by going
around another route) and try to make it through ahead of the assault
fleet.
b) If attackers reinforce their patrols and keep a few capitals nearby,
Defender may try a spoiling attack.
c) warp point assault: the attackers have to predetermine the order in
which
their ships will come through, without knowing whether or not they're
coming
out in the defender's lap.  The defender will have to try to get from
their
assembly point to the actual location of the jump point, fast enough to
kill
the vanguard before too many of the main body arrive.

That improve things?

Prev: Re: Starbase assault? Next: Re: Starbase assault?