Prev: Re: FMA skirmish, was Re: [SGII] Aliens and Predators in SGII Next: Missile counter measures.

GZG con exposure

From: "Tom McCarthy" <tmcarth@f...>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 09:06:01 -0400
Subject: GZG con exposure

Well, it's certainly true that FT is the easiest to teach and learn,
requires the fewest $ initial investment, and is relatively scale
neutral so
you really can use almost anything as a model.	That makes it far and
away
the most accessible.

After that, I'd say DS2 and SG2 are comparable for learning times, etc.
I'd
say DS2 models and terrain are more portable and so slightly more
convenient
to arrange for a con.  Also, rightly or wrongly, DS2 is seen as being in
competition with Mecha games and historical Micro armour games.  Both of
those arenas are crowded, and people who play in those arenas seem
willing
to try different games.

SG2 is seen as being in competition against GW's Warhammer 40K, in a
market
dominated by Warhammer 40K (25-28mm sci-fi (and this is the wrong place
argue over whether WH40K is sci-fi)), and many people in that market
haven't
played much other than GW games.

To bring it full circle and close the loop, when I got into FT there was
only one well known competitor in the market for playing fleet actions
and
that was Star Fleet Battles.  It definitely had a reputation for being
inaccessible; kind of an Advanced Squad Leader vs. 40K kind of
comparison.

Prev: Re: FMA skirmish, was Re: [SGII] Aliens and Predators in SGII Next: Missile counter measures.