Prev: Re: An introduction AND EVEN AN ON TOPIC BIT! Next: Re: Battlefleet GZG

Old Stuff, Old People :)

From: "Jim 'Jiji' Foster" <jiji@m...>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 08:02:48 -0700
Subject: Old Stuff, Old People :)

>My God, someone remembers these..... :-)
>They were done about when I left school, and predate the first GZG
products
>by at least seven years. Hand-cast in resin (2 halves

<snip>

>If you can scan the pic, by all means put it up!

Yes, please!

>magic..?), but mainly stayed with minis wargaming. Published first GZG
item
>(G-CAV) in 1985.. the rest is history!!

Hmm. My interest has been piqued. For the sake of history, Jon, is there
any master list/timeline of GZG rulesets?

To get the (apparently) obligatory bio out of the way:

Born '68. Introduced to SF by my father at about... age 6 I think. Tom
Swift -> Asimov & Heinlein -> Niven & Pournelle by the time I got
through high school. Introduced to D&D in '80 by a friend, moved on to
Star Frontiers, Gamma World, Paranoia and GURPS (and Monty Python, my
one and only campaign world was called Njorl's Saga. Set in the Barony
of North Malden.)

Collected and read a LOT more than I ever played (reams of old Dragons,
WDs and misc rulesets fill my apartment.) While I played my first game
of Microarmour about the same time I started up with D&D, my wargaming
urges were limited pretty much to Squad Leader (once or twice) Panzer
Blitz (way beyond my depth, but it only cost me $3) and Starship
Troopers (has anyone ever gotten beyond the third programmed scenario?)

Re-discovered micro armor when a game store opened in KC about 5 years
ago...co-owner of the store at that time was Harold Coyle. Got to play
with him once (my one brush with gaming fame) but the rules were sooo
slow.. and I always seemed to end up as Russian infantry charging into
artillary barrages. :P Picked up DSII because of the cover, and the
'color' text on page one hooked me (the real reason I game: I'm a Sense
of Wonder junkie. I *live* for color text.) Liked the system pacing and
the hard-SF feel. Tracked down FT and discovered I liked it even better.
Have since discovered that minis gaming is ideal because: a) you don't
have to dedicate your life to them to enjoy the hobby and get the odd
game going, b) the players are typically more intelligent or at least
have more depth c) my tastes in reading have moved from Hard SF ->
Military SF -> Military History and mini games feed that interest much
more so than most others. Now presently lurk on the GZG mailing list,
live in a small Kansas town entirely without gamers, play occasionally
back in KC, and am trying to teach a Star Wars-crazed high school friend
of mine what *real* SF is all about. :)

Prev: Re: An introduction AND EVEN AN ON TOPIC BIT! Next: Re: Battlefleet GZG