Prev: Re: An introduction Next: Crusade....BIG TIME SPOILERS BELOW!

Re: An introduction AND EVEN AN ON TOPIC BIT!

From: Jon Davis <davis@a...>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 21:08:47 -0400
Subject: Re: An introduction AND EVEN AN ON TOPIC BIT!

Ground Zero Games wrote:
> Born 1959* (good year that, especially for Cadillacs... ). Interested
in
> military and SF from as early as I can remember (recall being bought
issue
> 1 of TV21 when I was about four - wish I still had it....)
> Did usual toy soldier things with 54mm and 20mm Airfix figures, mostly
> WWII. Never liked Napoleonics (still don't...<grin>)
> Started "proper" gaming in very early 1970s with the first 1/300
> microarmour (Kirk and Leicester Micro Models, all WWII and so rough
you
> just wouldn't believe it - but they WERE only 45p for 10 tanks!!).
> Converted Grant's "Battle" to 6mm, also read all the Featherstone and
Wise
> stuff. Discovered SF figures in about 73, with the first Minifigs 25mm
SF,
> and the first Skytrex spaceships about the same time. Yes, I had the
"Space
> Marines" rules too (FanTac, wasn't it?), which were later reissued as
part
> of the Space Opera system by FGU.
> Dabbled a bit in RPGs with first ed D&D (I never owned one, but a
friend
> had the white box set, plus Chainmail etc.) and bought Traveller
(black
> box) as soon as it came out (1978-ish?), plus a few AH and SPI
boardgames
> (anyone remember SPI's "Sorcerer", with the different "colours" of
> magic..?), but mainly stayed with minis wargaming. Published first GZG
item
> (G-CAV) in 1985.. the rest is history!!
>
> Jon (GZG)
>
> * For the arithmetically-challenged, yes, that DOES mean I turn the
big
> four-oh this year.... ;-)

I turned 40 in December.  So when's your turn?	:-)

Let's see...  There was Starguard, Space Marine, Alien Space, and the
Star
Fleet Battle Manual.  All the same early games.  I brought Alien Space
with
me to the first GZG-ECC Convention and nobody recognized it.
Triplanetary
was my first science fiction game and it saw heavy use.  The black box
Traveller set is still in my collection as well as the Striker rule set
and
various editions of the Ogre rules.  I wish I'd bought more Ogre figures

when they were available.

I used to own Sorcerer too with the colored magic and units.  The colors
would
determine the combat strength of your units on a given hex.   I think I
sold it
in an Internet auction along with SPI's War of the Ring.

A lot of fun gaming memories....

Jon

Prev: Re: An introduction Next: Crusade....BIG TIME SPOILERS BELOW!