Prev: FT: campaign 98 sensor rules, pre-combat Next: Re: Kill the MIMEs

Ah, Stealth

From: "Noam R. Izenberg SRP" <izenbnr1@c...>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 08:44:58 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Ah, Stealth

	An unfortunate time for something so near and dear to my FT
heart
to appear on the list. I'm out of town and can't engage in the
discussion
to the level I'd like. I cooked up rules for stealth hulls a while ago
that some people liked and some people didn't. The newer folkswho might
want a look will find them on the New Israel pages on the gzg-l Xoom
site in the Midbar Skunkworks. They've been playtested some,and are
close
to being balanced,in my opinion.

In a nutshell,the stealth hull masses the same as partialor full
streamlining, and costs 3pts/mass. Stealth 1 reduces the effective
range
of enemy
weapons by 1/4. Stealth 2 reduces the range by 1/3. There are various
PSB
reasons available to this. I prefer that that the combination of hull
materilas and construction make the ship harder to detect via sensors
and
arder to lock onto with weapons, somewhat analogous to the stealth
planesof today. Since there has been no consensus sensor rule system
yet,
the effect of the stealth hull on detection and such has not been worked
up. A natural extension, though, would be to decrease effective sensor
range on steath ships by 1/4 or 1/3 accordingly.

This version of stealth is very simple to execute and immediately lends
itself to a new tactical style (as Indy well knows). The fact it takes
upso much mass means you have to sacrifice firepower or hull strength
(or something else) to
use it.

Once I get around to the PBeM games I washoping to run earlier, I intend
to test the system more.

Noam

Prev: FT: campaign 98 sensor rules, pre-combat Next: Re: Kill the MIMEs