Prev: Re: Full Thrust and PBEM Next: Re: Full Thrust and PBEM

RE: Computer moderated PBeM for Full Thrust ideas

From: Medains <medains@i...>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 13:43:06 +0100 (BST)
Subject: RE: Computer moderated PBeM for Full Thrust ideas

On 21-May-99 Jon Davis wrote:
> I know that some work has gone into specifying a file format and it's
> documented at
> the FT Computer Core.
>
> I'd be interested in working on this and contributing to it.	I think
we'd
> also have
> to check on the legal aspects of a system and consult with Jon
Tuffley.

My original ideas were along the lines of the following (bearing in mind
that
a, I haven't actually played much  b, I only have 2nd edition and  c,
I've been
thinking more of ease of implementation than retaining the full
flexibility of
the game) :

  use the FT portable format for the ships, but add 'integral systems'
such as
the standard fire controls, engines etc... to the system list.
  number each system

  orders - give movement orders for ships, and orders such as 'pursue
X',
'intercept Y' for fighters
  all orders during the turn are associated with a system
- Weapons (mostly) are linked to one of the fire control units.
- Firecontrol units can specify primary and secondary targets ( with
system
level targetting if appropriate )  If the primary target is in range of
any
weapon linked to the firecontrol then that target is used, otherwise the
secondary target is checked in the same manner.
- Sensor systems just allocate a target to be scanned
- Reflex shields/Cloaks/ECMs/Minesweepers are set off or on.
  and so on.

  Things such as PDAF and ADAF etc.. become very much more complex to
specify
exactly what you want them to do.

I had given some thought to conditional orders, but I think that some
assumptions will have to be made somewhere along the line.

eg.. 2 PDAF's - in a face to face game
  If attacked by a single missile / one fighter group
	use all PDAF's to shoot it down
  If attacked by 2 or more missiles / multiple fighter groups
	use both to shoot one
	use one on each (as far as possible)
     This decision is based on the type of attackers.
  If attacked by a combination of missiles and fighter groups
	fire at one missile and one fighter group
	fire both are a missile
	fire both at a fighter group
     Again based on the types of attackers, and whether you have screens
or not.

  So far this is 3 main conditions, and several sub-conditions based on
a wide
variety of variables.  In general this will not be too much of a problem
(every
been attacked by multiple missiles and multiple fighters in the same
turn?),
but as the number of fighter defences increases.  (Say an ADAF on a
nearby
ship, and the possibility of using C batteries as close-in systems)  The
possibilities can easily become greater than a simple order system could
cope
with.
  My ideas with fighter defences were to allow the player to specify
    how many defences to fire at each individual attacking group
    a prioritised list of attacking types
     eg, torp-fighter, missile, fighter, missile-needle
    and whether you wish to fire on groups of larger or smaller numbers
of
fighters first (potentially destroying a smaller group or saving
yourself from
the possibility of greater damage)

As far as implementation goes, I think the rulebook gives a nice set of
milestones - core rules, advanced rules, optional rules from MT etc.. :)

Any more opinions?

Colin aka Medains

---
E-Mail: Medains <medains@iname.com>

Prev: Re: Full Thrust and PBEM Next: Re: Full Thrust and PBEM