Prev: Re: Scale? [Was: Re: The Naboo Fighter.] Next: RE: The Naboo Fighter.

DS and SG turn lengths (was: Re: SG questions (DSII turn length)

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 22:22:38 +0100
Subject: DS and SG turn lengths (was: Re: SG questions (DSII turn length)

>the length of one turn is stated at 5 minutes. I'm not sure I agree
with
>that but see my notes on a previous thread below

>length...

[Snip lots of stuff and examples....]

>Adrian
>***********************************
>Okay I've added my $.02 + intrest and government intervention (taxes)

Well, what we actually said in both SG and DS was that if you needed to
work out roughly how long an overall DS or SG battle had taken in game
time
(for reasons of campaign time, movement of reinforcements and off-table
units, etc.), then you should consider each turn to have represented
approximately 5 minutes (SG) or 15 (DS). What this DOESN'T mean is that
each game turn contains 5 (or 15) minutes worth of movement, combat or
whatever - in fact the actions of each turn probably only occupy a small
fraction of this; it is an attempt to reflect the fact that most battles
contain variable periods of relative inactivity ("hurry up and wait")
between short flurries of action. For the purposes of the individual
game
turn, the timescale is not really important or relevant - especially as
the
whole turn sequence is an artificial abstraction to make the game
function!

Jon (GZG)

Prev: Re: Scale? [Was: Re: The Naboo Fighter.] Next: RE: The Naboo Fighter.