Prev: Welcome to the ShuffleThrust Cafe! Next: RE: [OT] physics help

Re: USA Timeline (was: RE: I'm Back)

From: Donald Hosford <hosford.donald@a...>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 22:59:43 -0400
Subject: Re: USA Timeline (was: RE: I'm Back)

Jonathan Jarrard wrote:

> Interesting stuff.  Two things really jump out at me, though:
>
> 1)  They took the LIBERTY BELL???  Given how massy the damn thing is,
as
> its dubious actual historical significance, I find that hard to
> believe.  The Constitution is a good idea, though.

They took those things, because they helped to found the country.  And
because there is only one of each item (as far as i know), it is an
identifier...

> 2)  Why on earth would representatives of a government dedicated to
the
> separation of church and state seek the blessings of the Pope?  Let
> alone take along a semi-official clerical arm?  This makes no sense at
> all, unless you add some sort of Catholic/Government or Catholic/Free
> Space connection earlier in the timeline.  The idea of leaving records
> with the Vatican isn't bad, but I don't buy the rest.

America was founded by christians...It still is (mostly) a christian
country.  Unlike the other colony ventures, these peaple didn't want to
create an american based colony, they wanted to recreate America itself.
(America didn't end, it just moved...)

> On the other hand, if there are any Catholic clergy among the would-be
> colonists, I could easily believe that they might be in secret
> correspondance with the Pope, and that the records could be passed
that
> way.

An interesting idea, but as of 2188, there are no interstellar
communications technologies...

Thanks for the comments!

Donald Hosford

Prev: Welcome to the ShuffleThrust Cafe! Next: RE: [OT] physics help