Prev: Re: USA Timeline (was: RE: I'm Back) Next: Re: USA Timeline (was: RE: I'm Back)

Welcome to the ShuffleThrust Cafe!

From: "Robertson, Brendan" <Brendan.Robertson@d...>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 11:24:53 +1000
Subject: Welcome to the ShuffleThrust Cafe!

For complete banality & insanity, welcome to the ShuffleThrust Cafe!
Home of blood, mayhem & asteroid splattering.

Play area: a 60" x 40" (or similar ratio) solid boundary playfield.
There is a 10" goal in the middle of each end.
Players: each team has 4 'field players' plus a 'goalie'.

Rules:
-----
The game runs for 10 turns.
Ships are deployed alternately, tossing a coin to see who deploys first.
 The puck is placed in the centre of the play area.
The 'puck' being used is a 100 dp asteroid (keep track of damage).  If
it is destroyed, instead of moving, it splits into d3+1 (2-4) smaller
chunks of 50dp, which move in a random direction with an initial speed
of 2d6.  The game continues until all of the smaller pucks are removed
from the board (by scoring or destruction).  And yes, you can ram the
'puck'! (use asteroid rules).
After a goal is scored, the field is reset & each ship repairs d6 damage
& all damaged systems.

Vector movement is used for both the players & puck.  Anything bouncing
off a wall halves its current velocity in its new heading (use ange of
incidence=angle of reflection for bounce).
The puck doesn't move during the movement phase, instead it is moved
during the fire phase.
Each damage point imparts 1" of thrust along the same facing as the
player (ie: player is facing 12, any damage to the puck gives it x
thrust in direction 12).  This is mostly to simplify the math for the
umpire.  Don't forget to include the drift from last turn.
You can also attack other players, but if they suffer a threshold, then
you also must roll against their threshold number; failure means you
must do a full threshold check against all systems as a 'penalty' for
'tripping' or thumping them.

-----
Field Players:
Mass: 40
Main Drive: 8
Hull (ave): 12
[ooo/oo*/ooo/oo*]
Screen-1
Firecontrols: 2
Pulsetorpedo (F)
3 x Class-1 (6-arc)

Goalie:
Mass: 40
Main Drive: 2
Hull (str): 16
Armour: 4
[OOOO/oooo/ooo*/oooo/ooo*]
Screen-2
Firecontrols: 2
Pulsetorpedo (F)
2 x Class-2 (FP/F/FS)

-----
Advanced rules (experience):
Each ship that scores a goal (imparts the most thrust on the scoring
turn): 5 points
Every threshold caused to another ship (including destruction): 1 point
Every game ship survives intact: 2 points
Every time the ship is destroyed: -5 points

Benefits of experience (cumulative effect):
10 points: Ship gets to 1 pulsetorp reroll per game (tohit or damage)
25 points: Ship can use all its thrust as maneuver drives.
50 points: Ship can reroll pulsetorp every turn (tohit only)
100 points: Ship can write orders after all other players have moved.

'Neath Southern Skies - http://users.mcmedia.com.au/~denian/
Commodore Alfred K Hole - RNS Indy's Folly (CB)
Task Force Admiral Peter Rollins - RNS Waterloo (MKW)
Fleet Admiral Alberto Doyle - NKV Vesuvius (LFI)