Prev: Re: (FT) when FT3? Armor vs shields? Next: Re: Rafm, mini's

Re: (FT) when FT3? Armor vs shields?

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 10:58:54 +1000
Subject: Re: (FT) when FT3? Armor vs shields?

Beth Fulton wrote:

> In the end I think it comes down to what you like and how you like to
command.

I did a few calculations regarding shields vs armour the other day. Came
up with some surprising results:

>From a purely Mass viewpoint, the break-even point is reached when the
number of hull boxes and armour added together is about 18. If you have
18 hull/armour, then adding 3 hull/armour gives you about the same
benefit as a level 1 screen (assuming your opponent is using nothing but
beams). If you have significantly more hull/armour, then you're better
off buying screens than hull/armour.

It's greatly complicated by several problems:
a) Screens can go down due to internals.
b) Opponents generally don't use all beams.
c) 3 mass of screens cost 12, vs 9 for 3 hull/armour (including the 1 pt
for each mass of structure, otherwise 9 vs 6)

What it boils down to is that for anything smaller than a light cruiser,
use armour not screens. For Heavy Cruisers up to Battlecruisers, use
screen level 1. For anything larger, screen 2 is the way to go. The
greater the proportion of non-beams used by the enemy, the larger the
ship required before break-even is reached.

The more hull/armour your ships have, the better screens look. But then
again, the better weapons look too, as otherwise you have  a ship which
can take it, but not dish it out.

For such a simple system, it's surprisingly rich, and not particularly
susceptible to over-optimisation.
--
	      http://www2.dynamite.com.au/aebrain
 abrain@cs.adfa.edu.au o O*OO^^^^OO*O o oo     oo oo	 oo

Prev: Re: (FT) when FT3? Armor vs shields? Next: Re: Rafm, mini's