Prev: Re: [FT]Time line... Next: Re: [OT] BFG Questions ? -Reply

Re: Strategic Thrust using BR25

From: Thomas Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 23:36:27 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: Strategic Thrust using BR25

On Fri, 2 Apr 1999, Nyrath the nearly wise wrote:

>	In the game Dark Stars, they have a solar system display with a
>	logarithmic scale.  The hexes in one "ring" of hexagons are
>	assumed to represent a larger area than the hexes of inner
rings.
>	That is, if the hexes in ring 5 are one billion miles per hex,
>	the next ring had hexes something like 1.5 billion miles per
hex.

this also has the advantage that one thrust point (ie the ability to
climb
one hex out, sorta) gets you further when you're further out: this is
true, as the star's gravity is less at greater distance.

in terms of properly correct physics, it doesn't quite work out (i think
-
it depends just how it was done) but it's better than nothing.

incidentally, the historical boardgame 'kingmaker' (AH, i think) had a
slightly similar scheme: the terrain units were irregularly-shaped,
often
with boundaries defined by rivers in nice flat east anglia, the units
were
big, so you could march from londond to cambridge in one turn (why
anyone
would *want* to go to cambridge is beyond me, of course :-), whereas in
lovely hilly wales, the units were barely bigger than a counter, so it
took ages to get anywhere.

Tom

Prev: Re: [FT]Time line... Next: Re: [OT] BFG Questions ? -Reply