Prev: Re: Other Solar Sys maps Re: Strategic Thrust using BR25 Next: Re: Battlefleet Mars

Re: Battlefleet Mars

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 16:32:37 +1000
Subject: Re: Battlefleet Mars

Donald Hosford wrote:

> No, but I have heard of it...and drooled at the adverts in my old
Analog Sci-Fi
> magazines...The map would be in the ad, but I could never make out any
details...

> Was it a good game in spite of the movement problems?

Excellent game, the only 3-D boardgame that I've played that really
works. Newtonian movement +3D makes for very interesting defence games,
where the defender must first go out , then kill the velocity, and come
back in in order to effectively engage the attacker. Difficult, as fuel
is limited.
OTOH as most kills are Mobility kills, it behooves the attacker to make
sure that he's going in the right direction and speed to attack the
objective when he meets the opposing fleet, otherwise he just won't have
enough firepower to zap the defences when the fleet gets there. There'll
be lots of drifting ships far from the action on both sides.
What makes things more interesting is the fact that in many cases, the
attacker is only trying to sucker the defending fleet out of position
and defeat it in detail: he knows he can't win against the opposing
fixed defences. In others, he really wants to avoid the enemy fleet, he
just wants to raid the defences with minimum losses.
--
	      http://www2.dynamite.com.au/aebrain
 abrain@cs.adfa.edu.au o O*OO^^^^OO*O o oo     oo oo	 oo

Prev: Re: Other Solar Sys maps Re: Strategic Thrust using BR25 Next: Re: Battlefleet Mars