Prev: 1940 Buck Rogers Serial.... with Buster Crabbe Next: [WAY OT] Re: 1940 Buck Rogers Serial.... with Buster Crabbe

Re: Strategic Thrust using BR25

From: Michael Sarno <atomicat@g...>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 09:32:57 -0500
Subject: Re: Strategic Thrust using BR25

ShldWulf@aol.com wrote:

> I was figuring on the ships being unable to do constant accelleration,
so
> your fleet speed, (using the lowest thrust in the fleet) determined
the
> "orbital track) you could take. Higher thrusts could take a more
direct
> orbit, while low thrusts had to take more "Homann" type orbits to
reach thier
> target planet.

    That's a good idea.  I hadn't really thought about anything except a
constant
acceleration type of movement.	But I like your idea here much better.
What do
you propose as the specifics of this rule?

> I'd also considered adding some rules for detection and stealth. It
might be
> possible for the various planets to know your coming, or for you to
hide as
> you come in.

    I like that idea a great deal, but all the ideas I've had on making
that
happen require way too much in the game mechanics department and hence
playability suffers greatly.  If you have any ideas on this I'd be very
interested.  So far, the best idea I've had in this regard is to have
counters on
the board that correspond to the fleets and then keep each fleet's
ships' records
in a separate pile clearly marked with the same symbol, letter, number,
color,
whatever as the fleet's counter on the board.  You'd have to trust the
opposing
player when his fleets meet in space and he starts to shuffle papers
between
fleets, or you'd have to have a referee.  It just seems like a lot of
work and
you still don't get to have a genuine sneak attack.

> I'd also considered adding an ability to have a "passing" fight
> if two fleets were traveling through the same circle along the path.
No
> actual stand up fights as the transfer velocity would be too high.

    That's not a bad idea.  I had thought about having this occur when
the roll
to determine intercept is tied.

-Michael

--
Michael Sarno

http://www.geocities.com/~atomicat
Check out my updated Charlie Company web pages!
Info, resources, and links for RAFM's miniatures
skirmish wargame of infantry combat in Vietnam 1965-1972

"No nation should put the burden of war
 on its military forces alone."
 -General William C. Westmoreland,
		  US Army, retired

Prev: 1940 Buck Rogers Serial.... with Buster Crabbe Next: [WAY OT] Re: 1940 Buck Rogers Serial.... with Buster Crabbe