Prev: Re: "Aluminum" Paint Jobs. Next: Re: Strategic Thrust using BR25

Re: Strategic Thrust using BR25

From: Nyrath the nearly wise <nyrath@c...>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 06:16:05 -0500
Subject: Re: Strategic Thrust using BR25

Donald Hosford wrote:
> If anyone wanted to game fleets traveling around the outer
solarsystem, I have some
> direct experience in this...(seems a while back, I was trying to do a
game-able
> "solarsystem map".  Because of the enormas size of the solar system,
it is not possible
> to put all of the planetary orbits on one map, without some
abstraction.  The best
> solution I could come up with was:  Put everything from the Sun to the
Asteroid belt on
> one map, and the rest on another map.  Both maps being the same size.
The "outer map"
> scale would be 1 "inner map" per hex....  :-)

	In the game Dark Stars, they have a solar system display with a
	logarithmic scale.  The hexes in one "ring" of hexagons are
	assumed to represent a larger area than the hexes of inner
rings.
	That is, if the hexes in ring 5 are one billion miles per hex,
	the next ring had hexes something like 1.5 billion miles per
hex.

	The ships had a sort of abstract movement.  They could move in
	three different fashions: orbitally, up well, or down well.
	They could also plot low acceleration, high acceleration, low
	decceleratio or high decelleration.

	Certain ship drives were restricted to certain movements
	( solar sails could only move up well, for instance )

	Details available upon request.

Prev: Re: "Aluminum" Paint Jobs. Next: Re: Strategic Thrust using BR25