Prev: Re: OT: "Aluminum" Paint Jobs. Next: Re: Strategic Thrust using BR25

Re: "Aluminum" Paint Jobs.

From: "Kevin Walker" <sage@m...>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 02:06:52 -0600
Subject: Re: "Aluminum" Paint Jobs.

-From: Mark A. Siefert <cthulhu@csd.uwm.edu>

> I'm going to be getting ahold of some aircraft minis rather soon and I
>want to give them a very
>"silvery-aluminum" paint job (just think P-51).  However, I'm not quite
>sure where to start.  Would I:
>
> 1. Prime Black
> 2. Dry brush metallic silver
> 3. Wash
> 4. Dry brush some more silver
> 5. Add details
>
> However, I think that it may make the plane look rather dull.  So,
>would I prime with white instead?

Hmmm... couldn't really say as I've found metallic acrylics to cover
fairly
well over black.  Consider painting on a gloss or semi-gloss clear coat
after you've sealed the minis with a protective coat.  This of course
after
testing the clear coat on something other than a miniature you've just
invested some major amount of time painting.

When I was more a plastic modeler (too many years ago) I used to use a
Micro
Sol brand adhesive to tack actual aluminum foil down, rubbing and
burnishing
it smooth afterwards.  Looked great but was a pain to get paint to
adhere to
for such things as oil runs and dirt streaks.  Not that this will be
much
use with miniatures.

Best of Luck,

Kevin Walker
Mac / Windows Software Developer
sage@millcomm.com
Rochester   MN	 USA

Prev: Re: OT: "Aluminum" Paint Jobs. Next: Re: Strategic Thrust using BR25