Prev: Re: Strategic Thrust using BR25 Next: OT: "Aluminum" Paint Jobs.

[FH] World Building

From: Laserlight <laserlight@c...>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 23:33:44 -0500
Subject: [FH] World Building

I got my birthday surprise gift from my wife (she was the one
surprised--I
told her "Sweetie, this is what you ordered for me"):

_World building_ by Stephen Gillett.  About $15 from Barnes and Nobles,
this
is the book to let  you build a star system and make it interesting and
authentic.

I now know that Alarish orbits a brown dwarf (2.5% solar mass, or about
25
Jupiter mass) at 3 million kilometers, with a period of a bit more than
week.  The brown dwarf orbits the primary, an M class star, at a
distance of
0.8 AU and period of 1.16 years.  Alarish gets insolation from the M
star at
the same total energy as Jupiter gets from Sol, although a lot more is
from
infrared.  I haven't yet determined how much light it gets from the
brown
dwarf.	I haven't gotten into the chemistry because Alarish is mostly
rock
and ice, not terraformable--but you could have some very interesting
habitable planets if you wanted.  Well worth the money, very highly
recommended.

--Chris  DeBoe laserlight@cwix.com
Opportunity knocks:
Quixtar(sm) Pre-Launch Site: www.countdown9199.com

Prev: Re: Strategic Thrust using BR25 Next: OT: "Aluminum" Paint Jobs.