Prev: Re: [FH] Full Diplomacy Next: Re:Thanks for B5W info

Strategic Thrust using Buck Rogers Board (was [FH] Full Diplomacy)

From: Michael Sarno <atomicat@g...>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 13:03:48 -0500
Subject: Strategic Thrust using Buck Rogers Board (was [FH] Full Diplomacy)

Rick Norman wrote:

> Ever heard a game called "Buck Rogers in 23rd Century" produced by
> TSR(?) in 80's? They did a Axis and Allies type game using a similar
> 'orbit" systems. It was a silly and cheesy game about a very silly and
> chessy show. Due to its similarily to A&A, it was popular game with
one
> game group I play with for while.

    I always thought that the "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century" game was
based on the comics characters.  If it was based on any "show" it was
probably the 1940 serial "Buck Rogers" starring Buster Crabbe
"http://us.imdb.com/Title?Buck+Rogers+(1940)", which was, far from being
cheesy, a sci-fi breakthrough and a classic.
    I have a copy of the game, but haven't played the actual game in
years,
but I don't recall it being similar to A&A, except, maybe, that they
both
have plastic figures.  As I recall, the game was a good grand strategic
take on the whole solar struggle.  The many different variants that were
included with the rules made for engaging play.
    I have been using the "Buck Rogers" board and planet counters for
years
to play a Diplomacy variant I have dubbed "Solar Diplomacy."  Since
learning the Full Thrust rules, I have been meaning to try a strategic
game
using the same board and planet counters.  I was thinking of the
following
strategic rules:
    No ships would possess FTL and can move one space per turn for each
thrust factor (Depending on the economics situation, perhaps, one space
for
every two thrust factors.) that they possess.  Combat can only occur
between fleets that are located in a planet's near or far orbit.  Far
orbit
and the space on the solar system track that the planet counter
currently
occupies are not considered the same.  Mines may be placed in any near
or
far orbit space and on any space on the solar system track.  Mines
placed
in the space that is currently occupied by the planet counter on the
solar
system track do not move with the planet, but ships on that space have
the
option to move with the planet.  Ships can pick up supplies from a
friendly
planet or be repaired by planetary facilities in near orbit or, for an
atmosphere capable ship, on the planet itself.
     Transport ships may transport troops.  Troops are either infantry
or
mechanized.  I'm still working out the details of the economics, but the
cost ratio of infantry to mech would be 3:5.  On a d6 infantry would hit
on
a 5 or 6 while mech would hit on a 4, 5, or 6.	Only one round of combat
could occur each turn for each "battle," except for landings, which
would
allow the defenders to roll for hits for one round and then allow the
one
round of combat.  All ground combat is considered simultaneous, except,
of
course, the first round in a landing.
    Except for the economics, the rest is just detail.

--
Michael Sarno

http://www.geocities.com/~atomicat
Check out my updated Charlie Company web pages!
Info, resources, and links for RAFM's miniatures
skirmish wargame of infantry combat in Vietnam 1965-1972

"No nation should put the burden of war
 on its military forces alone."
 -General William C. Westmoreland,
		  US Army, retired

Prev: Re: [FH] Full Diplomacy Next: Re:Thanks for B5W info