Prev: Re: [OT] BFG AAR Next: [WHY] Player list wanted

Re: [OT] BFG AAR

From: devans@u...
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 06:46:16 -0600
Subject: Re: [OT] BFG AAR

***
> Given that I'll agree that the figs are well worth $5+ apiece,
> the rest of the box contents are acceptable for the $20 remaining.
WE have to pay
£40, which is what $60. :(.
***

Er, eight figs at about $5 would be $40 plus $20 IS $60.

I've seen net offers at $42, but this was a case of me supporting
the local shop. Now, if I get a second copy, JUST for the ships...

***
Some of it is a little table heavy - the battery fire is a little too
complicated IMO - but it's generally a nice system, which is places is
startlingly similar to Another Game We Know Well.
***

Not to mention someone pointing out 'static' long and short ranges.
Still, I thought it worked much better than you'd have thought from
some of the anti-GW savaging it got on some rec.games....

***
You don't have copyright over the name 'Nova Cannon' do you Jon? There
was
one in FT I think.
***

Definitely one in FT, but I could swear I'd heard the term before in
anime'.
I know that it was designed after things like the Wave Motion gun, but
still think it's ringing another bell.

***
No real guidance involved but it really does encourage a torp equipped
ship
to get behind an enemy. We did wonder about fighters though, they seemed
far
too easy to kill.
***

We had someone whining about the torps being to easy to avoid. Natch, he
was
shooting from across the table at the time; at long range, they're
something
you annoy the enemy with, close up you ruin their day. The 'reload'
order
makes 'em tough to bunch up enough to make a good cloud of 'em.

Same with the fighter/bombers. The turrets soak off, the fighters soak
off,
so you have to have a large mass of them to be able to do damage. We hit
with one or two squadrons at a time, only to read more closely and
realize
the above. Course, we also thought the 'two squadrons' meant two
available,
not two launched. ;->=

***
We are going to pinch the scenario system for our FT games and the
campaign
system possibly too.
***

This is one area I have high hopes, also.

Our FT games are almost exclusively head-to-head meeting scenerios, and
know several folks bored at that.

The_Beast

Prev: Re: [OT] BFG AAR Next: [WHY] Player list wanted