Prev: Re: [FT] Initial Vectors Next: Fw from John A

Re: [OT] BFG Questions ?

From: Aaron Teske <ateske@H...>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 22:59:07 -0500
Subject: Re: [OT] BFG Questions ?

At 05:52 PM 3/26/99 +0000, Tom Anderson wrote:
>On Thu, 25 Mar 1999 CLL@LGC.CO.UK wrote:
>> I've got the Battlefleet Gothic Rulebook in front of me, anyone got
anything
>> they want to know ?
>
>yah! what i've been wondering is this: are there any features which BFG
>has but which FT/MT/FB doesn't? i suppose i really mean features which
>aren't totally GW-specific: i don't much care if FT lacks rules for
Chaos'
>Vominator Warp Fragmentor Cannon, as it's blatantly just another GW
penis
>extension.

Actually, the only Really Big Weapons are the Inferno Cannon
(surprisingly
tame, given what it could do in Space Fleet) and a powered-up Blackstone
Fortress (Chaos only).	And the latter is more like class 6 or 8 beam
batts
to a battleship's class 3's... okay, class 6 rail guns since the
Fortress
ignores shields. <shrug>

>otoh, sensor rules for fighters are something we lack at the
>moment.

No, nothing like that.	The whole premise of the game, as I quoted Andy
Chambers way back when, is "keep it simple."  And, for a GW game, it is.
(Okay, I guess that's a trend recently.  Whatever.)  Oh, some of the
optional rules get a bit into fiddly charts and rolls, but apart from
that
there's not much to look up IMO, no more than there is for Full Thrust.
There's no prewritten movement, which was a plus in Andy's eyes, and a
minus in mine for the most part.  (There are times I don't care
much....)

>From the most abstract level, both are fairly simple starship combat
games
-- one just covers the near-future, the other a fantasy future that's so
far advanced time-wise who the heck can tell what could exist and what
couldn't?  Getting into the nitty-gritty, there is a certain "feel" to
each
game that differs; FT can try to duplicate the feel of BFG by placing
restrictions upon designs, while BFG cannot imitate FT (mainly due to a
lack of a design system).  Mark Siefert's work looks pretty good so far,
though I may still work on my own system later on. ^_^	I'm a bit more
willing to wreak havoc with special rules and new weapons, like what I
did
for my Fleet Book conversions
(http://www.hicom.net/~teske/sfleet/ftfb.html); Mark's apparently doing
what I did with my original Space Fleet conversions, where I just took
current FT weapons and equipment and used the Space Fleet ranges and
dice
to build equivalent starships.	Now that BFG is out, it will be
interesting
to see if the various ships come out to roughly equivalent points values
as
the Space Fleet ships did.  The fighter bays even account for space in
BFG,
whereas they were just tossed in with the Emperor in Space Fleet (though
fighter rules never did appear).  Modelling the Inferno Cannon is gonna
be
interesting, though, since it's a lot less powerful than either the Nova
Cannon or Wave Gun....

Later,

					Aaron Teske
					ateske@HICom.net
LAUNCH DAY!
A totally unprovoked attack on peaceful neighbors. Must be the race
file. Does strange things.
		--Rick Kucejko, on the War Monger PRT in Stars!

Prev: Re: [FT] Initial Vectors Next: Fw from John A