Prev: Re: Pop-Up attack Next: Re: Operational scale

Re: Operational scale

From: Donald Hosford <hosford.donald@a...>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 18:24:02 -0500
Subject: Re: Operational scale

Laserlight wrote:

>   Starting from rest, 1 gee acceleration for 24 hours yields a
distance
> traveled of 0.25 AU, pretty close--assuming I used the right formula
(d=1/2
> a t^2 ), setting 1gee at 10m/sec^2; and assuming my arithmetic is
right.

> (I haven't worked out when you get to relativistic speeds).

I figured it out on a computer a long time ago. (back when they were
only 8
bit...)
At 1 gee acceleration, it takes something like 340 earth days to reach
light
speed.	I have forgotten how far you would travel by the time you
reached light
speed.

> So what's a reasonable scale for operational level (gravitic drives)?
Is
> 1/4 AU per movement point about right?

Seems ok to me...Have you thought about the weapons yet?  Missles?  FTL
energy
beams?

> --Chris  DeBoe laserlight@cwix.com
> Personal Site: www.angelfire.com/va/laserlight/index.html
> Quixtar(sm) Pre-Launch Site: www.countdown9199.com

Donald Hosford

Prev: Re: Pop-Up attack Next: Re: Operational scale