Prev: Re:Ship Names of the Nations Next: Re:Ship Names of the Nations

[FT]Ship Names of the Nations - WWI Austro-Hungary (Long)

From: devans@u...
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 10:27:58 -0600
Subject: [FT]Ship Names of the Nations - WWI Austro-Hungary (Long)

Here's the list typed so far for the Austro-Hungarian Empire
ships.

Previous codicils are maintained: Not an expert in the period
OR the language. To this add: this material is from and around
the Great War, and while the remake is supposedly based on the
1914 edition of Jane's, it seems mostly to be using 1919's. I'm
certain that ships will have fallen through the cracks.

Of note is are particularly familiar names amongst the
dreadnoughts. Just insert a space in one. Apparently, one should
consider these particularly available to NSL. ;->= Some names
also showed up in the second war. The heavy cruiser, almost
pocket BB, that accompanied Bismark on it's dash for open waters
was named Prinz Eugen.

I'm not conversant in German, but I believe Herzog means Duke.
Could Erzherzog be Grand Duke?

Come to think of it, when you refer to Wellington in German, is
it Herzog Eisen?

Dreadnoughts-
Tegetthof
Prinz Eugen
Viribus Unitis
Szentistvan !

BB-
Erzherzog Franz Ferdinand
Zrinyi
Radetzky

Erzherzog Karl
Erzherzog Friedrich
Erzherzog Ferdinand Max

BB ('2nd class'?)-
Habsburg
Arpad
Babenberg

Sankt Georg

Monarch
Budapest (or Ofenpest)
Kaiser Karl VI

Kronprinz Erherzog Rufolf
Mars

CC-
Kaiserin und Konigin Maria Theresia (Really, this is one ship)

Kaiser Franz Josef

Aspern
Szigetvar

'Old "Torpedo Cruisers"'?-
Leopard
Panter

CL-
Saida
Helgoland
Novara

Destroyers, TB's, and Submarines to follow.

The short glossary at the front of the book giving naval terms is
in English, German, French, Italian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish,
Dutch, and a very few in Japanese.

I'm going to try and scan these in and convert to text rather than
attempt typing. Should all go well, I'll be putting this, and
the promised posts I've found on prep'ing and painting plastic, on
my GeoCities web site. I'll apologize in advance for the pop-ups
and other atrocities I've yet to figure how to disable. *sigh*

The_Beast

Prev: Re:Ship Names of the Nations Next: Re:Ship Names of the Nations