Prev: Re: [FH] Dollars to Credits Next: [FT] KV Fighters - was Re: Schoon's KV Playtest Designs

Re: [FH] Dollars to Credits

From: Tony Wilkinson <twilko@o...>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 01:02:58 +0000
Subject: Re: [FH] Dollars to Credits

At 22:54 14/03/99 -0700, you wrote:
>At 12:12 AM 3/15/99 -0500, you wrote:
>>So to put it in the simplified form you asked for, 1 million
population
>>usually results in about 1300 MCr (130 points) of ships and 1 line
battalion
>>with support units.
>
>You may be reading too much into the US example. I realize that most of
the
>world seems to be heading towards the "small, professional" model of
the US
>and Britain (and Canada and Oz and anyone else who want's credit :-),
but
>your method breaks down when trying to plan for a classical
Swiss/Israeli
>type of military with small cadres and enormous reserve forces.
Terrible
>expeditionary types of forces, but enough to bloody the nose of any
>attacker. As an example my own Free State deeply wants cutting edge
grav
>tanks, but from a financal point of view it simply makes more sense to
>invest in starships (and even more, the fighters [see the relevant
posts on
>the 'pedia list]) to prevent the Bad Guys from landing. So the elite
>armoured units have heavy tracks and the rest soldier on with light
tracks
>and wheeled vehicles, very little of which can be said to be high tech.
>They also manage to put only a few brigades in the real hot spots,
because
>there's only so much shipping to cart the troops around. Which actually
>reinforces my preference for fighters, since a few squadrons can put a
real
>crimp in the plans of an insufficently advanced enemy, and the most
>advanced enemy I have is second or third rate. It seems to be working
for
>me. :-)
>
>--
>Don

	I got to agree with Don here. The Swiss/Israeli model allows you
the have
a much larger force at lower cost as you only really pay for the
weaponary
and not wages, accomadation, medical, food etc in peace time. The idea
in
Australia used to be (anyone correct me) was that the regulars would be
roughly divisional strength with the Army Reserve (militia if you like)
making up a second, doubling our field strength at very little cost.
Very
cheap in fact as the reserves got all our old stuff if we could keep it
working. In Israel the reserve strength would be even greater say 4 or 5
times that of the standing army. If I remember rightly the Israelis had
2
divisions (relatively small organisation I think) in the Sinai campaign
in
'73. If you can track down more infomation of the forces involved in
that
war it might give some further ideas.

	Tony.
	twilko@ozemail.com.au

Prev: Re: [FH] Dollars to Credits Next: [FT] KV Fighters - was Re: Schoon's KV Playtest Designs