Prev: Re: [FT] Coilguns Next: Re: [FT] Coilguns

Re: [FT] Coilguns

From: John Crimmins <johncrim@v...>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 10:42:21 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] Coilguns

At 08:17 AM 3/14/99 -0500, you wrote:
>><< A Coilgun uses a series of electromagnetic coils to accelerate a
piece
>> of iron or steel down a tube.  It is similar, in both function and
>> effect, to a Railgun, but has no moving parts and is, overall, the
more
>> efficient design (at least according to what *I've* been reading).
The
>> Coilgun fires a single very large projectile at very high speeds
(Yes,
>> the "Shotgun" approach makes a lot more sense.  This *looks* cooler,
>> though.), and is capable of doing a tremendous amount of damage to a
>> target. >>
>
>A) Why not just use a railgun?  It's the same thing, ie, an
>electromagnetically accelerated object to punch holes in ships.
Exactly how
>it accelerates the object is just  the PSB (or Scientific Babble, at
this
>rate, getting past the Pseudo point).

Because it's an entirely different (and somewhat more spectacular, in my
humble opinion) weapon, and a new name seemed to be warrented in order
avoid confusion.  It was originally designed as a set of variant Railgun
rules, so Coilgun was an appropriate name.

>B) I'd assume the rods have some kind of terminal homing.  Otherwise
the
>chances of hitting anything as small as a ship--even if it's not
>maneuvering--are negligable, unless you assume a ridiculously short
range.

Short range is a pretty relative term in FT, isn't it?	There would have
be some sort of guidance if you wanted to hit anything at all, just as
with
the standard Railguns, but I didn't think that it needed any additional
rules or explication.  The important thing, in game terms at least, is
fire it in approximately the right direction.

John X Crimmins
johncrim@voicenet.com
  --Spider Robinson, The Callahan Touch.

Prev: Re: [FT] Coilguns Next: Re: [FT] Coilguns