Prev: Re: DS2 Optional rules: Jumpjets Next: Re: [FT] Coilguns

Re: [FT] Coilguns

From: Laserlight <laserlight@c...>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 08:17:50 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] Coilguns

><< A Coilgun uses a series of electromagnetic coils to accelerate a
piece
> of iron or steel down a tube.  It is similar, in both function and
> effect, to a Railgun, but has no moving parts and is, overall, the
more
> efficient design (at least according to what *I've* been reading).
The
> Coilgun fires a single very large projectile at very high speeds (Yes,
> the "Shotgun" approach makes a lot more sense.  This *looks* cooler,
> though.), and is capable of doing a tremendous amount of damage to a
> target. >>

A) Why not just use a railgun?	It's the same thing, ie, an
electromagnetically accelerated object to punch holes in ships.  Exactly
how
it accelerates the object is just  the PSB (or Scientific Babble, at
this
rate, getting past the Pseudo point).
B) I'd assume the rods have some kind of terminal homing.  Otherwise the
chances of hitting anything as small as a ship--even if it's not
maneuvering--are negligable, unless you assume a ridiculously short
range.

Prev: Re: DS2 Optional rules: Jumpjets Next: Re: [FT] Coilguns