Prev: [FT] New on the Solar Thrust site Next: Dirtside II FMA Enhancement Play Test

Re: [FT] Coilguns

From: DracSpy@a...
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 23:31:49 EST
Subject: Re: [FT] Coilguns

<< A Coilgun uses a series of electromagnetic coils to accelerate a
piece
 of iron or steel down a tube.	It is similar, in both function and
 effect, to a Railgun, but has no moving parts and is, overall, the more

 efficient design (at least according to what *I've* been reading).  The

 Coilgun fires a single very large projectile at very high speeds (Yes,
 the "Shotgun" approach makes a lot more sense.  This *looks* cooler,
 though.), and is capable of doing a tremendous amount of damage to a
 target.  That's the good news. >>
You can also use sea water (nice ground based def) or plasma (think the
mass
drivers from B5) as the armature.  A Coilgun (which is what I bet Jon
had in
mind when he wrote the Railgun rules, but Rail Gun or Gauss Cannon seems
to be
the popular term).
-Stephen

Prev: [FT] New on the Solar Thrust site Next: Dirtside II FMA Enhancement Play Test