Prev: Re: The GZG Digest V1 #213 Next: Re: WARHEAD IMPACT! (was Re: (Con) GZGECC2: JON-DON'T READ!)

Re: FMA Enhancement to Dirtside II

From: "Andrew & Alex" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 10:00:02 +1300
Subject: Re: FMA Enhancement to Dirtside II

Brian Bell <bkb@beol.net> wrote:
>Jim Whitehead wrote:
>>So here is my dice conventions for Dirtside II.
>>Most of this is for impact values of weapons.
>Isn't this what Jon Tuffley proposed as DIRTSIDE ACCELERATOR:
>(Playtest version 1.0, copyright GZG 1999)?
>Jon posted it on 3/7/1999 in response to my posting
>of my FMA Enhancement for DS2.
    Nope. Jim's enhancements with my substitution (he's just agreed to
this!) of a D6 for target armour, almost exactly duplicate the chit draw
procedure. With my enhancements to Jim's fantastic idea, the fire combat
sequence goes like this:
1    Roll fire control die to hit versus target's signature and cover
(and
perhaps range dice - another addition I'm thinking of)
2A    If the fire control die was "1", the shot missed and there's a
chance
for a Firer Systems Down result.
2B    If the fire control die was less than or equal to the opponent's
highest die, the shot missed, go on to the next firer.
2C    If the fire control die was higher than the opponent's highest
die,
the shot hit. At this point, you would normally draw chits to determine
damage.
3    Roll a number of damage dice according the weapon size, and of the
type
specified by the weapon and range. The target rolls a number of D6
according
to its armour level. Attacker and defender choose their highest die out
of
all that are rolled.
3A    If the attacker's highest die is less than the defender's highest
die,
the shot failed to penetrate.
3B    If the attacker's highest die is the same as the defender's
highest
die, the shot has damaged the target in some way, roll for a special
effect.
3C    If the attacker's highest die is more than the defender's highest
die,
the shot destroys the target.

For GMS:
GMS/P rolls one dice for weapon size;
GMS/L rolls three dice for weapon size;
GMS/H rolls five dice for weapon size;
GMS/3 rolls seven dice for weapon size.

So you can see that this differs from the method proposed by Jon and
your
method. The key parts are:
*    DFFG at close range is 2D10 or 1D20 per weapon size class, NOT D12;
*    rolling [Weapon Size class]D[Weapon Type] - allows size 6 & 7
weapons;
*    rolling [armour level]D6 = for all armour, - allows level 6 & 7
armour;
*    No multiplication or addition needed, just pick the highest die to
compare;
*    allowing for special chit draws at one per shot, not per weapon
size
class;
*    hitting and penetration are kept separate;
*    armour is a constant D6 dice roll, no additional worries for
defender;
*    attacker fumbles are kept separate from critical hits on defender.

Hope that helps!

Andrew Martin
Shared email: Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz ICQ: 26227169
Blind See-Saw, DSII, DSII FAQ, GZG-L email FAQ, FUDGE, UY, MSH & WBG:
    http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/

Prev: Re: The GZG Digest V1 #213 Next: Re: WARHEAD IMPACT! (was Re: (Con) GZGECC2: JON-DON'T READ!)