Prev: Re: [OT/FT] My Wing Commander review... Next: Re: [OT] Jon Tuffley Made It Into Murphy's Rules!

Re: [OT] Jon Tuffley Made It Into Murphy's Rules!

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 10:43:38 +0000
Subject: Re: [OT] Jon Tuffley Made It Into Murphy's Rules!

>At 06:15 PM 3/12/99 -0500, you wrote:
>>John Crimmins wrote:
>>> And did you notice who submitted it?  How many designers are willing
>>> *admit* (much less point out) the logical lapses of their rule
systems?

>>I guess I should have been clearer; Jon Tuffley is CREDITED as the
person
>>who submitted the rule.  Given the high standards that Pyramid tries
>>practice, I have no reason to doubt them.
>>
>>We've also talked a lot about the rule on the list, especially when
>>FB was in the works... it's an accepted convention to keep fighter
combat
>>from being too cumbersome.
>>
>>I don't intend to offend anybody; I think we all agree FT is a pretty
good
>>game system, otherwise we wouldn't be here.
>>
>>J.
>
>Well, *I*  certainly wasn't offended!	My apologies if it somehow
sounded
>that I was.  I was just entertained by the fact that Jon himself
submitted
>this "mistake" to Murphy's rules hiself!  Most game designers would
rather
>die than admit that there might be any sort of percieved flaw in one of
>their systems.  Jon, of course, is Better Than That.
>
>And I must add that I don't think that FT is a "pretty good game
>system"...I think that it's a *Damned* Good Game System!
>

>John X Crimmins

Yes, I DID submit the Murphy's myself, as have several designers and
writers who aren't afraid to laugh at themselves a bit! Marcus Rowland
is
another, who submitted his own Murphy's from Forgotten Futures (his
shareware Victorian SF RPG) about "stealthy elephants and noisy mice"
(see
the last Murphy's compilation, now in print).
The FT Murphy's came about from meeting John Kovalic (a really great
guy,
BTW) on his recent trip over to the UK. John's a keen FT fan - if you
pick
up his latest issue of Dork Tower (no.3) - the one with the "Global
Village
Idiot" line on the cover - and look very carefully at the game books and
boxes in the cartoon, you should find "Fool Thrust" there somewhere.....
I'm very chuffed to have got into Murphy's - a lot of the rules in there
are ones that (like the FT one) make sense in terms of playability and
game
function, but make little or no sense in "real world" terms, and that's
why
they're funny.
Besides, it seeing the cartoon makes just ONE gamer think "Hmmm, Full
Thrust, wossis then....?" and go look for it at his store, then that
can't
be a bad thing.......
Oh, and thanks for all the kind comments - I THINK I can just about get
my
head through the office door still.....

:-)

Jon (GZG)

PS: John Kovalic's site is www.kovalic.com
Go and have a look at his Murphy's and Dork Tower stuff!

Prev: Re: [OT/FT] My Wing Commander review... Next: Re: [OT] Jon Tuffley Made It Into Murphy's Rules!