Prev: Re: [FT] A thought on that vector movement problem Next: Re: 18.1" Anti-Aircraft Guns!!!

Re: [FT] A thought on that vector movement problem

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 13:30:12 +1000
Subject: Re: [FT] A thought on that vector movement problem

G'day Schoon,

>The problem as I see it is that a high thrust ship can rotate and use a
>push to essentially increase its "main drive."
>
>I agree with others that this is an abuse of the rules - though I
wasn't
>above using it in Jerry's first FB race ;-)

See that's my problem, why is this an abuse? I'm probably missing some
physics based response/reason here, but aren't you simply using
your available resources? The closest analogy I can come up with
(which is probably going to get me shot for only knowing half of what
I'm talking about) is from WWI aviation. There were some planes
(the rotary ones I think) that saw you turn very easily if you turned
"with"
the engine and I've read a number of reports where aces used this very
feature to aid their maneuverability - using the available resources to
the
limit (OK, I'll admit the very same trick could get you killed, but
hopefully
you get what I mean).

>I think that a simpler solution, more in the spirit of the rules, is
that
>pushes may not be within 90° of the initial movement vector. This
maximises
>other things that you can do with them while preventing abuse.

I get what you mean and its not a half bad idea, but just to be a pain
in
the butt (play devil's advocate a bit), why 90 degrees? Why not 60? etc.
I think it comes back down to the fact that I see it as stylised in the
first
place and so have no real problem with the move. I think I'm going to
have
to agree to disagree on this one.

Cheers

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax (03) 6232 5199 International +61 3 6232 5199

email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au

Prev: Re: [FT] A thought on that vector movement problem Next: Re: 18.1" Anti-Aircraft Guns!!!