Prev: Re: [OT] Re: Tired of the stupid comments about SST...

Re: [OT] Re: Tired of the stupid comments about SST...

From: Adrian Johnson <ajohnson@i...>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 13:46:45 -0500
Subject: Re: [OT] Re: Tired of the stupid comments about SST...

>The only semi-coherent explaination I can think of is that the
>scriptwriters/producers/etc were working on the Russian model: lots and
>lots of mediocre infantry, and ignore casualties.
>
>They left out the rest of the Russian Equation, though: lots and lots
of
>artillery and armour...Given the rest of the movie's tactical sillyness
-
>napalm-armed tac fighters coming out to play ONCE; no AFVs, no fire
>support, etc etc, I think we can just file SST under "Horrible Movies
That
>Shouldn't Have Been Made". It's got a lot of company in that
category...

How 'bout another explanation:	He was joking.	Like the scene when the
platoon of MI are rounding up bug warriors with their guns and shooting
them IN A CIRCLE.  Ricochets and misses would have done damage to the
humans *for sure* if there was one dose of reality in what they were
doing...   The entire combat methodology of the MI was supposed to be a
joke - part of the satire.  You're looking for logic and common sense
where
it wasn't supposed to be...

Personally, I don't think Verhoven was very *successful* with what he
was
trying to do, 'cause there was too much happening trying to be an action
adventure sci-fi kill-the-bugs movie (ah-la Aliens).  That would be the
influence of the Producer$ and $tudio, I guess.  Don't get me wrong, I'm
not trying to justify the film - I agree with what you said before:  it
failed as BOTH an action-adventure-sci-fi-shoot-em-up and as political
satire.  Satire for the brain dead maybe.

But don't judge it on it's military merits - it wasn't meant to be a
sound
military flick.  There was a *lot* of military improbability in Aliens
too
(APC's with no ground clearance, Starships for a single squad, etc etc)
but
it was a GREAT film.

Prev: Re: [OT] Re: Tired of the stupid comments about SST...