Prev: Re: [OT] Re: Tired of the stupid comments about SST... Next: Re: [FT] Sensors, FTL and other stuff (long)

Re: [FT] NAC, NSL, FSE, ESU Fighters

From: Thomas Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 13:36:42 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: [FT] NAC, NSL, FSE, ESU Fighters

On Sun, 7 Mar 1999, Ground Zero Games wrote:

> >What sensor range can fighters be detected at, and would they have
similar
> >sensor ranges to ships, or one step lower ?	I.e. fighters sensor
range is
> >36" rather than 54" due to smaller sensor packages - still military,
though.

> Again, this is probably something for FT3 - we want to look at and
rework
> all the sensor rules. Any good ideas in the meantime would be useful!

i'd say that fighter sensors should be far, far less effective than
those
on ships. assuming you're using some sort of EM waves, then smaller ->
less area -> lower photon-gathering capacity, smaller -> smaller
aperture
-> worse resolution. plus, smaller -> less computers. otoh, a squadron
might be able to gang up and set up some sort of synthetic aperture,
where
several fighters pool their signals, like similar telescopes. or maybe
not. maybe this costs extra.

Tom

Prev: Re: [OT] Re: Tired of the stupid comments about SST... Next: Re: [FT] Sensors, FTL and other stuff (long)